Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wrapped up in books


So when my son wakes up in the morning on the weekends, the first thing he usually wants to do is sit down at the dining room table and draw with me. He has two recurring themes, dinosaurs and Super Mario Galaxy. I tend to like the latter better, so I usually choose Mario and we get to work. This past Saturday I managed to sketch this little portrait out between images of Mario squashing Goombas underfoot and the Dino Piranha from the Good Egg Galaxy. It's not anything special, but it was fun drawing with the crayons. We use the Crayola twistables or some such... they're great, because they are regular crayons, but in a plastic body and when you need more wax, you just twist them up, almost like a mechanical pencil. So I can draw with crayons without breaking them in my big doofy adult hands.

In other news, I'm working on a third Princess Candy comic for Stone Arch Books. It's a blast, and I think that there's a real improvement in the pages over the first two books. Of course, I'm in the beginning stages of the pencils so everything seems good. Later on the self-doubt will creep in and I'll be freaking out about every line I put to paper, but hey, such is the creative process.

No comments: